Wednesday 15 May 2013

BUGS

Hello all, 

Today I decided to blog about a program that I am very passionate about. The program is called BUGS which stands for Building Up Girls Self Esteem. I have started and been running the program for the past three years now. BUGS is an after school program/club for girls in grades 6-8 that focuses on helping young girls gain self worth and self confidence before entering high school. I have run the club at three different elementary schools and have seen the positive impact the program has for young girls. 
I started BUGS because I was severely bullied in elementary school and felt I had no one to turn to. I felt alone, insecure and had no confidence. I did not want any girls to go through what I did, so I started BUGS to give young girls the opportunity to have a support system. Some where they feel safe, can share their feelings and lean on others. A place where they are not alone and can really learn about themselves and gain confidence in themselves. 
Throughout the program I have run a variety of activities such as: 
-Sports                       -Tye Dying                      -Group discussions 
-Yoga                         -Guest speakers              -Cooperative games
-Art activities               -Science experiments      -Field Trips 
-Water balloon fights   -And much more! 
I have built a very strong relationship with many of the girls who were in BUGS. Some of them are in their last year of high school! It has been incredible to see these girls grow into confident young women who are beautiful on the inside and out. I feel so happy to have had the opportunity to get to know these girls. As well as getting to know the new group of girls I will be working with!

Also I am always looking for volunteers and new activities to do with the girls, so if you have any ideas or want to volunteer please let me know through my blog! 
Thanks! 

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful Nicole! I wish that I had this when I was in grade 6-8. I think that every school should have this kind of program running. Keep up the good work :D

    ReplyDelete